Monday, January 3, 2011

Music and VIetnam


In the summer of 1967 Hubert Humphrey came to the University of Pittsburgh to speak at a rally to help elect Lyndon Johnson. At that time, Vietnam was a great big disaster. And, I was finally old enough to vote. But, YUCK, what a choice, LBJ's puppet, Hubert Humphrey or Richard Nixon. Reminds me of a Billy Martin quote about Reggie Jackson and George Steinbrenner which went "one's a born liar, and the others convicted". Of course, in 1967, neither one was yet convicted, although, since then, of course, Nixon has been convicted, and pardoned, and the world now knows that the Gulf of Tonkin attack was staged by LBJ to get congress to broaden his war powers. I spent most of the campaign claiming that I would protest vote for Eldridge Cleaver, but of course, when the curtains were drawn and there was a chance, which regretfully became reality, that Richard Nixon might be elected president, I held my nose and voted for Humphrey (a good guy who made bad choices, as we would say today).
But, despite all that craziness, those were fun days. We were hippies, freaks, war protesters, civil rights marchers, and college students whose biggest responsibility was to get educated. (Thanks Mom and Dad). And part of that education came from our music. It was the time when rhythm and blues, and bubble gum music was replaced by the British Invasion.
And it sure was an invasion, Jerry and the Pacemakers, The Animals, The Dave Clark Five, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Herman's Hermits, Donovan, The Moody Blues, Pink Floyd, The Who and I'm sure I'm just touching the surface here.
And, the haircuts.




1 comment:

  1. "And, the haircuts."...or shall we say the lack thereof! :)

    My word verification is "gotio"...I am interpreting this at GO TO IT!!!!

    ReplyDelete